Incidents in the Life of A. R. M. Beck
Given by John Milton Beck, October, 1948

My father, A. R. M. Beck, served in the Black Hawk War for two years in Sanpete County and received a pension from the government until his death. He was reluctant to take a pension, but when he did he was given all back payments

A. R. M. Beck was president of the Deacons Quorum for a number of years and had the custody of the first church built in Spanish Fork where the First National Bank now stands. This building was lighted by coal oil lamps, six chandeliers in the auditorium. These had to be cleaned and filled with coal oil weekly. He often had some deacons and teachers help him do the janitor work and very often had to go to the saloon to find that help, but in most instances the major part of the work was done by A. R. M. Beck himself. He also had charge of the fast offerings, which were stored in his home. Several other districts fast offerings were brought to his home. These he distributed. Each month with a team and wagon he would load with supplies gathered as fast offerings and go from one end of the town to the other providing the poor and the needy. It was a time when there were many immigrants from Wales, Scandinavia, and Iceland. These supplies were a life saver in many instances. This distributing he did without compensation and very often without appreciation. He also did most of the baptizing of converts and members of the Church for years. Anyone interested in checking please go to the records in Spanish Fork and note the hundreds that were baptized by A. R. M. Beck. Not in a warm font, but in cold mill race water, in most any season of the year these baptisms were held. I have seen my father stand in the mill race and baptize thirty persons without assistance. A. R. M. Beck taught the senior class in Sunday School for thirty years and never missed a class except when he attended conference. Conference was held in Provo. One time he walked from Spanish Fork to Provo to conference. Once he got a ride in a handcar and pumped himself. He went over many times with three or four spring seats in a wagon. He would leave about seven o'clock in the morning.

A. R. M. Beck made a fairly good living. He stayed at home. However, father would leave his hay in the field to go and work for the Church. .

At one time Bishop George D. Snell asked A. R. M. Beck if he would take a mission to the Southern States and if he could finance himself. Father's reply was, "sure". "When will you be able to go?" "In the morning, if you say so." "How will you get there?" And father replied, "I'll start right here and walk there and do missionary work all the way." The bishop said, "Who will take care of your family?" And father replied, "The Lord will take care of his own." The bishop evidently decided that he was more useful at home for he did not call father on the mission